In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, we have handpicked 12 mobile and web based apps designed to help you or a loved one manage this difficult, yet all-too-common disease.
The result is 12 "best apps for breasts" for breast cancer awareness, prevention, treatment and decision support, and disease management. Many are available for free and all are great resources so do your part during Breast Cancer Awareness Month and, please, spread the word!
- Breast Cancer Ribbons is a series of pink ribbon wallpapers and inspirational messages that will remind you of the fight against this devastating disease and help you promote awareness for breast cancer ($0.99 for iOS).
- Touch to Give allows you to donate directly to the Breast Cancer Network and several other charities in order to raise money for breast cancer research
- Daisy Wheel encourages and educates girls between 5th and 12th grades about the importance of doing self-examinations (free for iOS)
- Your Man Reminder takes a humorous approach to self-exam reminders. Each month, a man of your choosing will remind you to perform a breast-exam (free for iOS and Android);
- Keep a Breast provides monthly automatic reminders and instructions for breast self-exams (free for iOS).
Treatment and Decision Support:
- Cancer Coach has information on breast cancer and treatment, with a journal function allowing type and voice input (free for iOS and Android);
- Breast Cancer Diagnosis Guide provides answers to your diagnosis questions, articles about your particular cancer type and guides you through unfamiliar medical terminology. The app also claims to help you understand your diagnostic reports (free for iOS).
- Jack Imaging allows you to upload, view and share your breast images (CT, MRI, X-ray, Ultrasound) images directly from your imaging CD through easy upload functions. Upload your exams and share with your care providers, friends or family with the click of a button. Free (accessible on iOS and Android by visiting JackImaging.com).
- Med Helper reminds you to take medication, keep track of your appointments and more (Free for iOS; $3.99 for Android)
- Breast Cancer: Beyond the Shock is a support-group app for diagnosed patients as well as their caretakers. The app contains information about breast cancer and connects you with others who have gone or are going through the same thing you are (free for iOS)
- iPharmacy Drug Guide & Pill ID helps you keep track of your medication regiment by combining a pharmacy discount card with a medication educational resource. The app helps identify prescription drugs and provides information about dosage, warnings and contraindications (free for iOS and Android)
- iEat for Life: Breast Cancer helps you maintain a healthy diet while undergoing breast cancer treatment. The app contains a database with nutritional values and cooking tips for countless food items. It also includes research studies that cite certain foods as being beneficial for the prevention or healing of breast cancer (free for iOS).